Friday, 29 July 2011

Stonefly

Been playing around with a stonefly pattern this season, and it is has been catching very well for me.

Tungsten Head Stonefly Nymph

I'm tying it on #12s and #14s, and it is a tungsten bead. With that very sparse body it sinks like a stone! lol It has often been taken on the drop, so quite what that says about imitating the behaviour of the naturals I'm not at all sure! I'm also retrieving it quite quickly so it doesn't snag on the bed of what is a small stream, so again, quite what this says about imitating the natural I don't know. But the one thing I do know, is that it is catching.

But, there I am with my fly fishers / tyers ego, happily thinking that I am imitating the stonefly, when in actual fact, the fish are probably taking it for something completely different. But, taking it they are.

I'm tying the bronze mallard flank shorter in the fishing flies btw - about to the hook bend. f

This was from the first cast the other day:

DSCF1420

Just as I was unhooking that fish, the camera fell from my top pocket and landed with a splash right beside it. Ooops.

The fish darted off, and cursing loudly, I retrieved the Fuji Finepix and gave it a good wipe down.

Moving upstream, I was rather surprised to discover that the camera fired up when I switched it on, so I took a shot of the river.

DSCF1421

Apologies for the distortion, but please note, that is genuine Peak District river water you are looking at there. Perhaps I should add - there are easier ways to obtain interesting filter effects than dunking your camera in the river for thirty seconds. But I am pleased to say that after a couple of days thorough drying out, the camera has made a full recovery.



No comments:

Post a Comment